Monday, August 30, 2010

San-fran-si-coooo

So this past weekend I got the chance to go up to San Francisco with Chris and Reid, which was very exciting because I haven't been since I was 7 and have been wanting to go since I got to Brooks.

How do I sum up my thoughts on SF? Well, for starters, its extremely cold! Its the end up august and I had 3 layers on. I felt like I was in New York City in October. In fact I felt like San Fran as a whole was kind of like a wannabe NYC. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way, it's just that I felt like despite the cable cars and lombard st. and the golden gate bridge, their were alot of similarities. It was like I was in a dream; you know, where you dream of a place you know really well, but its always slightly different because it is a dream. I felt like I was dreaming of NYC, but was actually in SF. If that makes any sense. When I was walking around Golden Gate Park I had to keep telling myself I wasn't in Central Park. It was very strange.

Anyways, I got to see alot of things in a matter of 2 days, including: golden gate bridge, Salculito, Pier 39, ride a cable car, China town, eat at Fog City Diner (which has the most amazing cheddar biscuits with apple rosemary brown butter, omg, it changed my life. I'm kicking myself for not having brought my camera for that dinner), photograph a ballerina in the park with my holga, take lots of holga shots in general, walk around a 3 story Forever 21, eat cupcakes, eat a Ghiradeli hot fudge sundae, see ashbury and haight, eat clam chowder in a boudin bread bowl, see a homeless man bark at people like a dog and then have the cops come after him with a less-than-lethal-gun, and of course, the highlight of the trip: the infamous Bush Man.

Phew. Thats a lot.

And not only all of that but Reid took us around where we stayed for the weekend, San Carlos. And I was pleasently surpised at how lovely that little town is, and even more lovely are the local eats. We had some BOMB pizza at "The Speederia" (which again, I wish I would have brought my camera for). And then, I found out there was a local cupcake shop. I was on that like white on rice. I made sure to grab my camera this time. Along the way we found a great little wine bar Reid knew of called "The Cask" , and although we didn't get the chance to eat here, we got to taste a great little Moscato (picture below). Thanks to the oober nice bartender that gave us a taste! (I thanked her later with a red velvet cupcake :) )








Then, for the (even better) good stuff.

"Vanilla Moon" , is the cutest little cupcake shop where the atmosphere is almost as cute as the cupcakes themselves. I've had Sprinkles in LA, and Crush Cakes in Santa Barbara, but Vanilla Moon wins "Best Cupcake I've Ever Had" as far as I am concerned. I think its the cream cheese frosting. It's unbelievable. Its much more moist than sprinkles in general, even the cake part. And I think Chris put it nicely as he was finishing his mini red velvet cupcake "I just don't want it to end".

Naturally I bought red velvet, as well as chocolate with cream cheese frosting, and a chocolate chip cupcake. All mini sizes.

If your ever in the Bay area I highly recommend Vanilla Moon. Your sweet tooth will thank you!












No comments:

Post a Comment